POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
7 May 2024 10:52:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Aug 2017 08:05:01
Message: <web.59958566db2ef770c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> Hi, there is the NASA 3D Resources website, offering various vehicles
> and planetary landscapes as 3D models, formats OBJ and STL.
>
> 1. Is there any OBJ to POV converter?

STL to pov, yes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stl2pov

OBJ to POV - Poseray
http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/

I'd probably take the time to do a VERY tiny test scene to get all the comands
and syntaxes worked out, so that you're making it as easy as possible for
yourself.

After that, you can just swap out one mesh for the other.

I find it easiest to use mesh files by treating them as include files.

The triangles in a mesh have a "handedness" - an axial chirality.
Give a "thumbs up" with your left hand, and if you order your triangle vertices
in the order that your fingers curl, then the normal points up like your thumb.

Order them in the reverse direction, and then the normal points in the opposite
direction - "thumbs down"

I'd stop trying to use Blender if you want to render your scene in POV-Ray ----
just convert your OBJ or STL to a mesh, and then do all the fine-tuning in
POV-ray.

AND, as you know, you can post a (small) mesh and your scene file, and then
someone can edit it to get it to work.