POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 2 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 2 Server Time
15 May 2024 02:52:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 2
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 Aug 2017 20:35:01
Message: <web.5987b54154c85aac883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:

> There *is* a problem with the web interface as the code that creates the
> downsampled preview always assumes an input image with 2.2 (or sRGB)
> gamma. It takes the original image data, resamples it and does tag the
> output as sRGB regardless of the original gamma information.

Aha! So I wasn't SO crazy after all ;-)  I much-appreciate your good detective
work. I need to digest all of this, to make some sense of it re: using my older
version of Photoshop. (*IF* I could find some newer standalone CS version of
PS-- for sale outright, and not 'rented' monthly from Adobe-- I would buy it,
and chuck my old version. It has served me well, but definitely needs an
update.)

> On the other hand, how the image itself appears solely depends on the
> way the browser handles it. And luckily we live in 2017, 10 years (or
> so) ago literally EVERY browser did handle it differently.
> And BTW the problem is not limited to PNG images, it would also happen
> when you use for instance a JPEG with an ICC profile stating a non 2.2
> gamma.

Interesting! (By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, with the latest
edition of Firefox.)

> ...a user you can work around these issues. But as I've
> used version 5.0 quite a long time ago (20 years ?) I cannot tell
> anymore how the settings are called and where to find them.

I've included a screenshot of the only pertinent dialogs I can find in PS 5.0.
(Plus my computer's video-chip info.) And I think I discovered an erroneous
setting in the 2nd panel ("Profile To Profile"): RGB to LAB? That doesn't look
right. I'm guessing it should be SRGB to SRGB(?) This level of technical detail
is mysterious to me, honestly; I need to read up on those dialog boxes, in my
handy "Photoshop 5.0 Bible."

Thanks again for your help!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: