POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3D/4D Mandelbrot fractal (HACK via recursive isosurface) : Re: I want to render animations like this Server Time
29 Apr 2024 14:34:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I want to render animations like this
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Aug 2017 08:05:00
Message: <web.59806da24a3facdac437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Lars R." <rou### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> But with 10h render time per frame it is hopeless to do any animations
> with it. :'-(

I thought about this some more, and I wonder if you generate a mesh of the
fractal, if you can speed up the animation by using the saved mesh.

If you subtract away the half facing away from the camera, it ought to look the
same, and potentially speed up the render time as well.

You can use a difference, a contained_by box for your isosurface, or back-face
culling of the mesh.

Graphics Gems has some tips and tricks for speeding up code with pre-defined
values and look-up tables for things like sqrt() and trig functions.

I think if you take a look at
https://nylander.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/cross-section-of-the-quintic-calabi-yau-manifold/
http://bugman123.com/Physics/Calabi-Yau.zip
you'll see that he generates his surface by a parametric set of equations,
populates an array of vertices and normals, and then generates a "mesh" of
smooth_triangles.
I did some similar work with my parametric animations.
You might be able to turn those arrays into proper mesh{} objects and save them
to a file.

I'd say the only other option would be to use a 3rd party tool to generate the
fractal mesh quickly (non-SDL), and then use POV-ray to render it.

Maybe that's a bit more helpful.