POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3D/4D Mandelbrot fractal (HACK via recursive isosurface) : Re: 2nd image (in HD) with scene file & reference Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:46:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2nd image (in HD) with scene file & reference
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Jul 2017 07:50:00
Message: <web.597b2419fe28c21fc437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Lars R." <rou### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Captain Obvious? Is it you?

You have --- unmasked me.   :O
Now that my true identity is known, I will probably have to resort to getting a
job on Hotels.Com or something...

> Unfortunately neither you nor the Povray website gave me usable hints
> which values might be sensible or how the "accuracy" value influences
> the visual output of the rendering at all. :-(

I've played with it a little in the past, and it seems mostly to affect the
smoothness of the surface.  I'm not sure what the actual mechanism is, but I
find it a useful fiction to envision it as a sort of subdivision of the curve -
large values are rough/blocky, and small values are very smooth.

> If you give me the money we can talk about that, sure.

I only suggest it since I see what gets offered for sale on Ebay, etc. and got
my friend just such a machine for a few hundred dollars.  Might not be a
worthwhile investment for static renders, but for a challenging animation, I
figured it was worth suggesting for serious consideration.
After seeing the speed increase on his machine, I myself may go that route in
the near future.

> > You might even consider distributing renders on servers or something.
>
> Do you have a ready-to-use software for that? (for Linux & Mac)

I had the impression that it wasn't that hard to do, and that as far back as a
decade or more ago, people were doing that with POV-Ray.  I just thought I'd
bring it up as a possibility, figured someone else might be able to give you
details for the implementation, and that it might be a viable solution whether I
personally know the details of how to actually do it or not.

Obviously Dick Balaska has been doing it, I have seen people offer services to
upload a .pov file to the web and have it be rendered and the graphic file be
sent back, and I figured that with all of this cloud computing, maybe there was
some analogous mechanism by which "The Cloud" could do the heavy lifting.

Sorry I didn't have a magic bullet for you.