POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : QUESTION: Bump not showing? : Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing? Server Time
1 May 2024 20:53:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing?
From: omniverse
Date: 25 Jul 2017 04:45:00
Message: <web.597704e29f453b979c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 7/25/2017 7:06 AM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> > Thanks. Meanwhile, I actually applied many changes, with the effect that
> > scene parsing ends with an error. I tried to incorporate all advises,
> > but still miss something.
>
> Do the changes one at a time and test if they work before going on to
> the next. Otherwise it is like trying to find two matching ends in a
> plate of spaghetti. :)

I like that description, and spaghetti.

I didn't get any errors after making sure all lines of SDL are commented, mostly
the several

//

however, that's with my own image/bump file.
Probably need to use forward slashes, not back slashes since those are also
escape characters.

Rendering with a more distant camera I see the parachute piece again, that's
because in the LowerBalloonShape the cylinder being differenced away from the
sphere doesn't encompass the entire upper half.
Which is why I used:

 cylinder { < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 >, < 0.0, MyRadius+0.001, 0.0 >, MyRadius+0.001 }

instead of 175.001 for y.

Only my opinion but I still think the torus balloon top has a better look if
making it
scale <1, 0.75, 1> instead of the flattened <1, 0.5, 1>
but that's all up to you.
Although, if doing like I did, those bump_map entries are required to be either
0.175*1.5 or the equivalent of just 0.2625.

Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea how to rescale the gradient if making any
changes to the object scale.

And once again, I'll say the widest part of the balloon gets smooth with this
way of going about using a map_type 0 (planar) mapping. But to do it with
map_type 1 (spherical) you need an entirely different image, one that isn't
patterned radially. Something with vertical features.

Bob