POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : QUESTION: Bump not showing? : Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing? Server Time
1 May 2024 23:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing?
From: omniverse
Date: 25 Jul 2017 01:30:00
Message: <web.5976d66f9f453b979c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> On 24.07.2017 20:27, omniverse wrote:
> > Showing the render here that I was able to make using *your updated* bump_map
> > file, along with the SDL I posted here before (including fixed normal
> > statements).
> > Replace both normal statements for outer and inner textures with this:
> > normal { gradient y
> > normal_map { /* 0.175 equates to 105/2 or balloon top (torus half vertical scale)
height from 0 */
> >   [0.175 PositiveBump]
> >   [0.175 NegativeBump]
> > } // end normal_map
> > scale <1,1.5*MyRadius,1> // rescale only y to fit whole balloon>
> > And I regret uploading my version of the bump_map in PNG while leaving the
> > resolution size large, made almost 4 MB download file. Sorry!
> > I did not use reflection and radiosity, and also removed the image_map to use
> > only color rgb 1 which allows seeing only the bumpiness without any other visual
> > effects other than light source shadowing.
>
> Hi, thanks. I am seeing your two bump_map declarations, but not that you
> specified the bump image. I tried to incorporate everything, but still
> fail (now with error message):
>
>  normal
>  {
>   gradient y
>   normal_map
>   {
>    [ 0.175 PositiveBump ]
>    [ 0.175 NegativeBump ]
>   }
>   bump_map { png "H:\My Documents\My Pictures\POV-Ray\Space - Launcher -
> Balloon - Type 001 - Moon Runnings - Balloon BumpMap.png" map_type 1
> once bump_size 150.0 }
>   scale < 1.0, 1.5*MyRadius, 1.0 >
>  }

Oh. Yeah, you missed that from the whole SDL I posted at:

http://news.povray.org/web.59758a1a9f453b979c5d6c810%40news.povray.org

It's in the #declare statements for PositiveBump and NegativeBump before that
part.
I used my own file name so only that would need to be changed, otherwise you
have the correct 0.175 and 1.5*MyRadius in there.

You must remove your map_type 1 and bump_size 150.0 or else it will be
completely wrong for the way I did it. Reason why, the scale drastically
increases the surface normal deformation. You will notice I used only bump_size
0.1 so the object scale won't affect it as much.

Well, I say "correct" but I'm still wondering if I got it exactly right as
possible, or not.

And later I changed the torus to be taller because I thought it just looked
shaped better to me, not that you must change anything, by making scale
<1,0.5*1.5,1> (same as scale 0.75*y)
and changing to:

 normal_map { /* 0.175 equates to 105/2 or balloon top (torus half vertical
scale) height from 0 */
   [0.175*1.5 PositiveBump] // refit to rescaled torus height
   [0.175*1.5 NegativeBump]
 } // end normal_map
 scale <1,1.75*MyRadius,1> // rescale only y to fit whole balloon

in the two gradient y normal statements.

Bob