POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : QUESTION: Bump not showing? : Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:52:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing?
From: omniverse
Date: 24 Jul 2017 03:50:00
Message: <web.5975a1d69f453b979c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
>  normal { gradient y
>  normal_map {
>    [0.5 PositiveBump]
>    [0.5 NegativeBump]
>  } // end normal_map
>  scale <1,MyRadius*2,1>
> } // end normal

Mistakes... And wouldn't surprise me if it's still wrong somehow. I get confused
easily.  ;)

Replace both normal statements for outer and inner textures with this:

 normal { gradient y
 normal_map { /* 0.175 equates to 105/2 or balloon top (torus half vertical
scale) height from 0 */
   [0.175 PositiveBump]
   [0.175 NegativeBump]
 } // end normal_map
 scale <1,1.5*MyRadius,1> // rescale only y to fit whole balloon

And maybe it will be right. I neglected to see the 1.5 times rescale later on
for the balloon object.
And that flattened torus top (scale <1,0.5,1>) was simply being overlooked
because I was only thinking in terms of the gradient y
going upward and downward from 0, or starting at the max width part of balloon,
and not about actual distances for the gradient.

BTW, the gamma 1 for image file was arbitrarily chosen to brighten it for the
sake of seeing the bump map. You may have also noticed I changed the original
light source from 10 times to 1.5 times.

Bob