POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city building generator WIP : Re: city building generator WIP Server Time
5 May 2024 05:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city building generator WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Jul 2017 15:00:01
Message: <web.5974f054164bd7b0883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> On the building just right of center, due to the 3-D nature of the
> architecture, it is obvious that you just used an image map.

Yeah; the buildings definitely need some 'dimensionality.' (I actually hadn't
planned on the camera looking at them so closely-- but the more I work on the
scene, the more I want the camera 'in and among' the buildings!) I've done a
crude heightfield test for the faces of one of the buildings, and the results
look promising; but my current scene code isn't yet set up for that. I
essentially need to re-write it-- I think--if I go that route :-(

Also, some of the image map tiles are of WAY too low a resolution for
close-ups... which I didn't plan for originally :-/ I may have to search through
my OWN hi-rez photos of building facades (that I've taken over the years) to
pick some better ones. OR try and write a complex 'facade generator' in POV-ray,
and use all procedural textures instead. More work!!