POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : smooth gradient color_map : Re: smooth gradient color_map Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth gradient color_map
From: omniverse
Date: 23 Jul 2017 02:25:01
Message: <web.5974406d6b1125dc9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.07.2017 um 20:21 schrieb omniverse:
>
> > And something curious going on, I'm not sure about, when I add blend_mode to my
> > example; I can't get the same appearance as yours, which seems to remove the
> > purple color between blue and red.
> > Mine just looks the same no matter what blend_mode is set to. Don't know if it's
> > the incremental steps thing, but I also took out the 2nd color and let a single
> > color statement do the for loop. No change.
>
> That's because `blend_mode` only controls how POV-Ray interpolates
> /between/ individual colour map entries; the entries themselves are
> always taken as specified.
>
> Since you're pre-computing some ~250 entries between blue and red,
> render-time interpolation is only performed on colours that are very
> close anyway, so that `blend_mode` has virtually no effect: Your colour
> map is dominated by whatever interpolation formula you have implemented
> in SDL, which in this particular case happens to match `blend_mode 0`
> (the default).

Thanks for the explanation, guess I thought there must still be some "blending"
going on in there somewhere, from one color entry to next, especially if the
actual blending is limited only by usable memory.

Ohhh! Maybe I get it now. Reduce the number of entries/indices and the between
zones should exist more visibly...?
Um, nope. Not it. At least I'm unable to reduce it down to fewer colors and see
the purple lessen in the middle of blue and red.
So I'm still not understanding why I can't get blend_mode 2 the same as when the
color_map includes only a 0 and 1 entry by using only a few instead. Main
difference being the #for loop, only thing I can imagine causing this.

Sorry, maybe I'm being dumb and this is probably going astray from the OP topic.

Bob