POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Been There Done That : Re: Been There Done That Server Time
3 May 2024 06:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Been There Done That
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 15 Jul 2017 06:20:00
Message: <web.5969eb80fdf2a7f934009c350@news.povray.org>
> This is more of a conceptual image to me than anything else. I wanted -
> among other things - to explore 3dclouds.inc.
>
> It may surprise you to read that the lower half of the image rendered in
> about one hour while the upper half took about... 48 hours, or more as I
> rendered that part in blocks using Continue. Despite the fact that the
> clouds and the (media) atmosphere do not mix: they are separate objects.
> /That/ would have been even more speed killing. Rendered separately
> (clouds or media) the image renders within a couple of hours.
>
> I guess that the cloud build-up (here 50 planes) is the basic culprit.
>
> Nonetheless, you may or may not appreciate the scene ;-)
>
> --
> Thomas

I really like this image. I have never been able to get cloud layering to work
to my satisfaction, but these look really good. (And yes, I have noticed a
significant hit on render time when using them. I had one image with 90 layers
and had to do exactly what you have done here, render in blocks. Even then I
didn't like the result.)

I also like the sense of 'what is that' presented by the object between the moon
and the hills. (And I like the moon, too).

Cheers,

Simon.