POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fractured Destination : Re: Fractured Destination Server Time
20 May 2024 23:08:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractured Destination
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Jun 2017 10:10:00
Message: <web.5936b7586befef94c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> An alternative view.
> I prefer to use frame_number rather than the clock variable.
> For a start you will want to know how long your animation to last and
> the framerate of your animation. This will give you the total number of
> frames needed. I find it easier to work with integers as when working
> with complicated animations it is useful to define key frames where
> changes occur.

I have not learned the method doing animations through KeyFrames (yet), but it
seems to be the way a lot of people do things.

> The arithmetic* is not really harder than using decimals
> and reduces the chances of rounding errors. It also makes it easier to
> have cyclic functions within your animations using mod(A,B).

You certainly are a ... polymath.  :D

> Or you can define where the image files are to be saved in the ini file.
> Alternatively there is an option to define the output directory in
> povray.ini. (But I cannot remember what it is as it has been years since
> I used it. :-(  )

Noted.  Thanks!

> Which reminds me that you can have your clock running from A to B not
> just 0 to 1

Well, sure.
I also have learned not to use the clock variable directly, as I have often run
into the situation where I want to modify something halfway in.
So rather than having to hunt down all of the instances of clock, I usually
start off with

#declare Clock = clock;
And then all I have to do is edit my single function.

#declare Clock = clock*2;
#declare Clock = clock*360;
#declare Clock = (clock*9)+1;

> And it is fascinating watching your animation render frame by frame.

Fascinating .... and sometimes dismaying, when you've totally miscalculated
something in a long train of ... maths.