POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Reds Are Coming... : Re: The Reds Are Coming... Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:44:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Reds Are Coming...
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 23 May 2017 07:30:01
Message: <web.59241bfdfb337a1112a85d80@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>

> > I would try changing the end caps. Maybe a gold texture would make it
> > less like a fluorescent tube. Or something ornamental like a short wire
> > mesh.
> >
> Or maybe half a torus at both ends, both vertical, with one flipped in the
> opposite direction. Like a long 'S' shape.
>
> The possibilities are endless!  (That's the most difficult part of designing
> anything-- actually *choosing* only one of countless ideas.) ;-)
>
> By the way, Art Deco (and 'Moderne') are my favorite 'design philosophies' as
> well. Perhaps with a little bit of 'Steampunk' thrown in. (Disney's design for
> the Nautilus submarine in 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA is a constant
> inspiration, as are the sleek, ominous Martian saucers in George Pal's 1950's
> version of WAR OF THE WORLDS.)

Unfortunately putting end caps on isn't an option. In the books these crystals
are the result of a single forging. Besides, any substance other then that of
the crystal would be subject to the forces that are summoned when the crystal is
used (as in fused, vapourized, disintegrated, obliterated, eviscerated, etc,
etc). Having written the books, I should, more than anyone else, adhere to the
rules I have already laid down.

I have reworked the mesh for the stave and its core, and that has improved
matters somewhat. See uploaded image. (I am still not entirely satisfied,
though.)

I loved that design for the Nautilus. When I was little I wanted an airfix
model! I also wanted an airfix model of the martian saucers, though I imagine
not much assembly would be required. No fiddly bits! I also love the design of
the Chrysler building and the Columbine inspired scroll work that occasionally
pops up from time to time. I have borrowed a lot from art deco, and gothic. I
also love gothic.

Cheers,

Simon.

Post a reply to this message