POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Reds Are Coming... : Re: The Reds Are Coming... Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:02:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Reds Are Coming...
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 22 May 2017 07:25:01
Message: <web.5922c7c3fb337a114ab1e0880@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I really like that spaceship design. And the vibrant colors of the two soldiers
> are really nice, and a good color contrast.
>
> I would suggest bringing the background line of soldiers somewhat closer to
> camera; I actually didn't notice what they were until I looked at the image
> several times.
>
> My opinion about the amount (and the color) of the background haze is that it's
> excellent-- it clearly defines the two main characters, who are the real focus
> of the image.
>
> A small nit-pick: The ends of the white vertical 'light-sabre' detract from its
> look-- it appears to be a store-bought fluorescent light tube ;-P  The ends are
> black(?). Maybe a different color, or a different design there, would look
> better. In my humble opinion.

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks. It took a while to get it where it is, and given everybodies comments I
don't think I am going to mess with it over much. When ever I do I end up hating
the results and going back to the original.

The ships took a lot of thinking about. I settled on fish! You can't go wrong
with fish!

And since the 'flourescent tube' is causing so much discussion, perhaps I had
better explain...

What I am trying to model here is a long crystal stave with a core of energy. I
have never been able to get it quite to my satisfaction. The stave itself is a
crystal material with ior of 3 (approximating diamond). There is a white core
with a finish emission of 1. Really hard to get right, it seems.

In my books, this artefact is actually quite a devasting weapon. The energy at
the centre could be considered to be produced by something akin to an event
horizon, where everything has been squeezed, or folded, down to infinity.
Essentially, this energy, when called up, takes matter back to its base state,
rather like the conditions at the beginning of creation. I have tied its
explanation and description fairly heavily to hermetic principles, ie, as
pertaining to the four elements: earth, air, fire and water. So earth can be
made to run like water, air can be made to burn like fire, water can be made to
solidify like earth, etc, etc. You need to read the books, whilst I need to find
out how better to get it to render!

And just to think, more likely than not, you have one of these hanging in your
kitchen!

Cheers,

Simon.