POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media ignores an EVEN number of samples : Re: media ignores an EVEN number of samples Server Time
2 May 2024 23:08:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media ignores an EVEN number of samples
From: omniverse
Date: 20 May 2017 01:15:01
Message: <web.591fd00c1d3e97559c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Media (with default settings, at least) does not actually make use of an EVEN
> number of samples, but ignores that and reverts to the previous ODD value,
> visually. For example, an even value-- say 8, between 7 and 9-- shows NO change
> to media from 7 samples.

Quick look at this to see if it continued same way past samples 14 and it did.

Gave it a try with good old 3.7, not quite the same. 10, 11 and 12 samples are
identical. Likewise 20, 21 and 22.
Not only is that different but the media brightens. Darker in the beta. And
there's a change in how the green box shows through the media.

I made the light_source color just <1,1,1> to eliminate that as a potential
problem. I don't know enough to say why the brightness is not the same between
official 3.7 and the latest beta but I remember plenty was being discussed about
correctness for transparent textures, of which the sphere container is. Don't
know how that would apply here though, so maybe not.

Posting both renders at p.b.images for those of you wondering about it.

Bob