POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Reds Are Coming... : Re: The Reds Are Coming... Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:46:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Reds Are Coming...
From: Mr
Date: 19 May 2017 04:50:01
Message: <web.591eb19ffb337a1116086ed00@news.povray.org>
> On 18-5-2017 14:05, Simon J. Cambridge wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Again, going back to basics, I tried something else as well. I suppose I was
> > inspired here by a teenage visit to Brezhnev's russia, and all those heroic
> > posters embalzoned on the walls, in the squares and on the underground. If you
> > have heroes, pose them dramatically, that's what I say! I was tempted to have
> > Lenin ordering a taxi somewhere, but decided against it.
> >
> > I also have a liking for Art-Deco, which is why all the reflective surfaces and
> > the design of the sky-ships and the helms. Too much 'Flash Gordon' at saturday
> > morning pictures, perhaps.
> >
> > Anyway! What do you think?
> >
> > (Again, no radiosity and only two light sources and I messed with the contrast a
> > little post render.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Simon.
> >
> > http://www.landofthefirst.com/
> >

> Reading the title, I was at first tempted to frantically look for the
> "What to do if..." booklets.  :-)
>
> I like the scene but a bit less than the previous one. I think this is
> due to the extremely high reflectivity of the body armour and weapons.
> While I can understand the military reason for that (blind your enemies!
> or make yourself 'invisible' like skyscrapers with reflective curtain
> walls) this is a bit counter-productive here, especially the army in the
> background. Maybe do something about the atmosphere which tends to blur
> all colours a bit too much.
>
> --
> Thomas

Indeed! I agree that such an obvious and high reflectivity on the armors is a
waste. especially on such an otherwise cool picture !

If time was your issue, actually, even just specular would give better results
here. It has been the problem for so many pov pictures in the newsgroups and
forums historically, but now that there are:
*blurry reflections
*albedo settings everywhere to conserve energy,
*many shading models
*... so many unbiased raytracers everywhere outside pov

Mere "raytraced reflections" simply should no longer be considered a good
selling point for POV and used cautiously

Maybe we actually have bad defaults, and Fresnel, with conserve energy should be
on!