POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Solar System : Re: Solar System Server Time
27 Apr 2024 12:06:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar System
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 May 2017 08:10:01
Message: <web.59199a3a4e850994c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 5/12/2017 1:10 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> > Not sure how I ought to place the planets - so I just started at full syzygy.
> > I may trace out the orbits in a future version.
> >

> The orbit of the moon would be nice to see.

Got about 24 of Jupiter's moons coded, both of Mars', and Earth's.
Jupiter is uv-mapped.

For some reason, my moons don't cast shadows onto my planets...   :|

I worked out lines connecting the center of the planet to the tiny moons, so
they can be tracked, and then added camera-facing text labels that revolve with
the moons, and I _think_ I got a torus object worked out to show the circular /
elliptical orbit.   I've only tested that with Luna.
Need to work out a formula to automatically adjust the typeface size for camera
distance.

(I have that as a 5730 kb animation - where to post?)

Got the auto-width bounding box, lines, and tori worked out - it's not perfect,
but it makes those things usable since I have a camera that moves across the
whole solar system  ;)

For some reason, I can see the far side of the torus through/in-front-of my
planet.   NO idea what's going on there.  A top-down view shows that the torus
fully surrounds the planet - so it's not a confusing viewpoint thing.

Camera definitions that follow a chosen planet around its orbit, so the
[visible] moons in the planetary system can be seen.

(Some of these "moons" are really _really_ tiny rocks  :O  )

Need to get a bit more data on celestial bodies.
Need to work out how to make my orbits precessing ellipses - for animation
purposes, and how to implement the stated eccentricity as a formula, and maybe
add some stars.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'screenshot.png' (283 KB)