POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A touch of the Beksinki's : Re: A touch of the Beksinki's Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:04:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A touch of the Beksinki's
From: Mr
Date: 15 May 2017 03:35:01
Message: <web.59195941dac76a2a16086ed00@news.povray.org>
"Simon J. Cambridge" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi People,
>
> I haven't posted in a long while, been a bit busy writing, but I thought I would
> seek opinion on something I've been trying in pov-ray, as in going back to
> basics and starting from scratch.
>
> I thought I would try and simplify my scene as much as I possibly could - two
> light sources (sun and shadowless camera light) and no radiosity. I am using
> subsurface on the figure in the foreground, but everything else is rendered with
> relatively simple textures. The only post processing I do is upping the contrast
> and dropping the brightness.
>
> What do you folks reckon?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>
> PS. Find my earlier stuff here:
>
> http://www.landofthefirst.com/

Compelling composition !   I like it,... but, ;-)  to me the creature's skin and
cloth, textures need more work i think the skin texture I cooked up here could
be a good fit :
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray/Sample_Materials#Skin_Light
The tong may be perfect  though! and this may reveal after the rest gets
polished

The cloth, is a delicate issue, because it looks like your choice of tint is
meaningful, evoking the virgin mary traditional dress, so color can't be changed
too much, only divided into very close tints that can be assembled like this :
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray/Sample_Materials#Linen

but mostly it looks too plain, so it would benefit changing its reflection model
to oren nayar with a very high sigma, using a uv mapped fabric micro knit
element as bump map.