POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Solar System : Re: Solar System Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:34:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar System
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 May 2017 12:35:00
Message: <web.5915e35d4e850994c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 5/12/2017 2:31 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> > Suggestions?
> >
> Only what I do myself.
> I stick to Mpeg-2 because I had to pick one format.

Oh, the _video_ encoding.   I'll have to go back and look at the still frames
and see if they have the same problem.

> > I'm going to play with parameters to see what I can get to fit on the screen and
> > be aesthetically pleasing, but not too wildly unrealistic.
>
> Ghost images that fade out?

Elaborate, please.
I was thinking about the parameters of the radii, the distances, and the orbital
eccentricities to get a nice but highly unrealistic animation of the
elliptically orbiting planets- but it sounds like you have another interesting
idea.

> > Maybe even code in proximity conditions for textures vs uv-mapping.
>
> Why, is it not complicated enough?

It is not.  At the moment it's some spinning spheres revolving around a textured
sphere.  Earth has the very complex texture of pigment {Blue} with specular 0.6.

"We need nine columns for the motions of Jupiter, nine for the motions of
Saturn, and so on. Then when we have all initial positions and velocities we can
calculate all the accelerations from Eq. (9.18) by first calculating all the
distances, using Eq. (9.19). How long will it take to do it? If you do it at
home, it will take a very long time! But in modern times we have machines which
do arithmetic very rapidly; a very good computing machine may take 11
microsecond, that is, a millionth of a second, to do an addition. To do a
multiplication takes longer, say 1010 microseconds. It may be that in one cycle
of calculation, depending on the problem, we may have 3030 multiplications, or
something like that, so one cycle will take 300300 microseconds. That means that
we can do 30003000 cycles of computation per second. In order to get an

correspond to one revolution of a planet around the sun. That corresponds to a
computation time of 130130 seconds or about two minutes. Thus it takes only two
minutes to follow Jupiter around the sun, with all the perturbations of all the
planets correct to one part in a billion, by this method!"

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_09.html

And really, all it is is a conditional statement.
if the distance > some trigger, use a simple procedural texture.
if it's less, use a more complex one, or a UV map.

> > Still pondering how to rotate the sun faster around the axis than the equator -
> > how to procedurally texture that....

> You have started me thinking about creating a DF3 animation, of the sun.

Excellent!  Inspiration strikes!

Looks like Bob Hughes has taken a stab at that already:
http://objects.povworld.org/binaries/sun.pov

And it looks like there are some other toys to play with there as well!  :)
http://objects.povworld.org/cat/Space/