POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Flying Rocks : Re: Flying Rocks Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flying Rocks
From: Eriban
Date: 10 May 2017 16:50:00
Message: <web.59137bd8cfb65e1bf591106d0@news.povray.org>
> Bonus features > flyingRocksDev
>
> This demonstrates the evolution of a box of rocks falling into the
> fishtank, in the same vein as my mushroomDev video.  But mostly it is an
> excuse to use a piece of music with me shredding on my strat. ;)

Interesting to see the falling rocks sequence evolve. Is it all generated via
custom collision detection and physics modelling, or did you re-use
off-the-shelf software for that? The final sequence looks impressive.

Two comments though. The balls jiggle a bit too much at the bottom of the
aquarium to be realistic. Also, while falling the column of balls remains a bit
too static I feel. When falling in air, the balls would speed up, so their
distance should increase as they are going down. In water the effect may be less
pronounced. However, due to the extra friction and turbulence of the water, I
would then expect a bit more sideways movement. Maybe you can tweak your
algorithm a bit too fudge this? (Realistic modelling of turbulence and friction
of the objects might be a bit too difficult...)