POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
3 May 2024 22:40:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: omniverse
Date: 10 May 2017 00:40:00
Message: <web.59129876e4817c0b9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 09.05.2017 um 00:29 schrieb omniverse:

--->8---

> > Curiously the *always there* artifact is diagonal and not at a bend (not exactly
> > anyway) while the new ones seem to be vertical and at either top or bottom of
> > the bends yet not all bends (it is an erratic sine wave), although most are
> > overlapped by a sphere as plotting points.
>
> As far as we are aware so far, the artifacts appear in places where the
> sphere sweep runs nearly perpendicular to the viewing direction. Can you
> confirm this?

Only now getting back to this. I neglected to mention that plotted chart uses
orthographic camera, although it doesn't seem to be anything about that.

As far as camera sphere_sweep alignment goes, I animated the test scene to move
the camera or the sphere_sweep and both cause the same kind of artifacts.

While there appears to be some sort of camera/sphere_sweep orientation reason
for the artifacts it doesn't look like "perpendicular" or another exact
alignment is causing it.

Albeit the sphere_sweep is getting cut across mostly perpendicular, there are
obvious signs of it being curved too. I think it just happens that the most
visible portions align with the camera.

Will let you decide, so I'm putting the stop-frame type animation at
p.b.animations

And I almost thought there could have been something about the sphere_sweep
being on a single plane, but no, also does same with points placed off plane.
Possibly worse effect doing so.

Reasons to me it's a kind of interference with itself. I could only make wild
guesses like this since I don't know how those things work!