POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 08:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: omniverse
Date: 8 May 2017 18:30:00
Message: <web.5910f14de4817c0b9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Forgot to mention that I used the regular Windows binary install. My machine
> specs...
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4600

Quick check shows it might not have AVX from what I found.

Beta 6 is okay on my i5 6200U processor, which apparently has both AVX and AVX
2.0, and with Windows 10.

However... I looked at a scene file of a plotted chart I have for keeping track
of motorcycle MPG and maintenance, which uses a cubic spline sphere_sweep, and
found differences in appearance of that.

Official 3.7 and beta 5 is able to do the sphere_sweep with only one minor tiny
slice at a bend, almost unnoticeable, yet the beta 6 makes a few other places
look like discontinuities at other bends.

I haven't checked into that more than just rendering the scene file as it
already was; in other words, not tried to see it in other ways or make changes
to learn what the actual defect looks like at larger scale or closer viewpoint.

Curiously the *always there* artifact is diagonal and not at a bend (not exactly
anyway) while the new ones seem to be vertical and at either top or bottom of
the bends yet not all bends (it is an erratic sine wave), although most are
overlapped by a sphere as plotting points.

The good news: render time goes down from 9 minutes 27 seconds to 8 minutes 54
seconds, give or take a few seconds.