POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Differencing a cubic sphere sweep - artifact problem! : Re: Differencing a cubic sphere sweep - artifact problem! Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differencing a cubic sphere sweep - artifact problem!
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Apr 2017 11:45:01
Message: <web.590602c4ecb34136883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I tried all sorts of tricks to try and eliminate the problem, but no luck...

I ran the scene in the latest(?) 3.7.1 beta 5, as well as in my original 3.70
install; same problems in both.

IIRC, sphere_sweeps using a cubic spline have been problematic for a *long*
time. If it were possible to do, I would suggest adding the 'natural_spline'
type to the sphere_sweep code. I don't know the math differences between natural
and cubic splines (or if one is mathematically 'simpler' than the other) but it
might give us at least one way to make curvy sphere_sweeps that can be
CSG-differenced from another object.