POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch. : Re: hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch. Server Time
27 Apr 2024 08:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Mar 2017 10:15:01
Message: <web.58dbc1212105b4c1c437ac910@news.povray.org>

"One of my goals with the hard_object pattern was to get to where we
could pass an object with a defined inside to some macro and have it
create ... ( ... surface-skin) isosurface for that
object without the need for extra outside steps."

Yes, this is something I think would be very useful indeed.
I think a lot of us dabbling with fillets and meshifying primitives and Bezier
patches and isosurfaces have at some point eyed that as a goal - to "somehow"
skin-over an object or union of objects.

It would be especially useful, I think, because I'm guessing that a pattern or
texture might be able to be "wrapped" in x/y/z so as to cover all of the "faces"
of the result.

This can be a real pain with CSG and standard procedural textures.

This is a very interesting project, and I hope you keep at it and make some more
excellent progress!   :)