POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup : Re: 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup Server Time
29 Apr 2024 20:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Mar 2017 19:00:01
Message: <web.58d05dc555c2e3b7883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
There's a minor detail about all of this, that I didn't understand at first; but
I  just realized the answer (!)

When I first noticed my computer-restart problem (the opened  3.7.1 beta 4
*folder* that appeared), one of the first things I did was look at the Windows 7
"System Configuration" box, using msconfig.exe. Being clueless at the time, I
wanted to see if the installer had put something there by mistake, in the
"startup" section. I expected to find something POV-related, but found nothing
(see the attached screenshot)... even though the START menu's "startup" folder
did show the 3.7.1 folder *there* (which turned out to be the cause of the
problem.) So I was scratching my head, wondering why it appeared in one place
but not the other. It finally occured to me that System Configuration's
"startup" window only shows actual .EXE executables-- NOT any enlosing
*folders*, which don't show up.

Another discovery!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'startup_apps_before_the_fix.jpg' (290 KB)

Preview of image 'startup_apps_before_the_fix.jpg'
startup_apps_before_the_fix.jpg