POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup : Re: 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup Server Time
29 Apr 2024 22:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Mar 2017 16:25:00
Message: <web.58d03a4655c2e3b7883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> The installer bears no blame for the confusion at all: The locations it
> offers are just all the existing folders in "Start Menu: All Programs",
> in case you want the POV-Ray entry (which is also a folder) to reside in
> a subfolder rather than "All Programs" itself. (For instance, imagine
> you had manually created a subfolder there earlier, called "3D Rendering
> software", then you might wish to install POV-Ray in there.)

Ah, so *that's* what the installer means (ha)! OK, I think I'm finally starting
to understand how to use the Windows OS (after using it for 17 years!!)
Honestly, I have never installed a link to a program in a START-menu *subfolder*
and never thought about doing so. OK, now I'm much smarter :-) Who says old dogs
can't learn new tricks?!

> The /confusion/ comes in there merely due to the fact Windows happens to
> assign special functionality to one of the existing subfolders, namely
> "Startup": Anything residing immediately in there (whether it is a
> program, a document, a directory, or a link to any of those) is opened
> whenever you start Windows.

Hmm, Windows is trying to be too clever (or too irritating!) But I get it now.
SO... in POV-Ray's installer (or *any* installer for that matter), when it asks
where to put a link to the app (or rather, a link to the folder containing the
app), and I happen to choose "startup" in the dialogue, it's the "POV-Ray for
Windows v3.7-beta" FOLDER that gets placed in "startup" (not solely the
pvengine.exe app itself)-- which is why only the FOLDER opened up when I
restarted my machine (see my first posted screenshot), not POV-Ray itself.
Eureka!

(*** lightbulb goes on in brain ***)