POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stranger Moon : Re: Stranger Moon Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:30:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stranger Moon
From: Mr
Date: 13 Mar 2017 06:15:01
Message: <web.58c670a1bc728e716086ed00@news.povray.org>
> A scene I have been working on for some time, with different
> interruptions. This is a first final version; possibly, some changes
> will take place.
>
> The background star field and the landscape are based on Apophysis
> images http://apophysis.org/, the first as an .exr file, the second as
> basis for the height_field. The scene is a subtle play with different
> light_groups.
>
> The vegetation was modelled with Dryad, a little free application from
> stanford.edu
> http://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/january9/dryad-010908.html that seems
> to have disappeared from the net.
>
> --
> Thomas

Hello, I feel compelled to criticize to be constructive and always look for
improvement, but I Love the picture, geometric and tonal composition... now to
the nitpicking:
The image works much better in small preview than at a bigger scale. This
reveals a good potential, and lack of some details:
* The tree trunks are too straight
* The trees have not enough color variations (how many different tree models?
maybe changing some of them for a new one with slightly different color would
solve this)
* Though this may be realistic, the water appears too dark , that is probably
because the view angle is too high, with Fresnel not allowing the sky color to
get reflected enough, lowering it might also let us see some of the surface
waves to add some nice detail that probably are already there.
Be careful not to loose that type of background rock you have, it's beautiful
and makes much of the point of the picture.

* isn't scale of the clouds too small? making them bigger would create larger
holes where the "moon" could be let visible and still get some occlusion from
the clouds, because as it is, the moon looks closer than the clouds.
*beaches are too vertical, ideally a small fringe of the terrain with lower
slope would make them less linear, but I guess it must be difficult depending on
how procedurally the height field was generated... If not possible then I would
try to make the sandy yellow line much thinner to make up for that.

Great work and a hard subject to depict !