POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fourier Transform : Re: Fourier Transform Server Time
16 Apr 2024 18:46:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fourier Transform
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Mar 2017 12:35:01
Message: <web.58bd9c92bb134ad1c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> This is really fascinating.

True, there's a lot more to it than I ever knew, but even the little I did know
suggested lots of interesting things to explore!

I don't have linux running on any of my machines - I suppose I ought to.

> The Geomorph site's image examples look very similar to the effect that some of
> Photoshop's image filters have on an image. Can I assume that Photoshop uses
> FFTs for those filters?

AFAIK, most of the bigger commercial packages use FT to process data for a lot
of the filters.   I could be wrong, but reading and videos on FFT suggest
exactly that.

I'm thinking that 1D, 2D and 3D FFT would be useful for:

general smoothing, sharpening, edge-detection
Shape scanning and reconstruction (meshifying CSG objects and then converting to
isosurfaces)
Perhaps a heightfield be stored with only width/2 PLUS height/2 data points,
instead of full-width TIMES full-height data points?
Could the musical tones in an MP3 file be extracted and used to generate sheet
music in a POV-Ray scene?
generation of pigment patterns
modifying existing patterns by filtering
elimination of banding in gradients
comparing a spectrum before and after interacting with an object: any frequency
(vibration) absorption = harmonic frequencies of that object
feature and color analysis of images

Thanks for your interest  :)