POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Dokken : Re: Dokken Server Time
4 May 2024 09:10:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dokken
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Feb 2017 18:15:00
Message: <web.5897b07b6a1a359883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
ThH <no.spam@address> wrote:
> Another old source...
>
> Find it at povray.text.scene-files:
> Different Results Between Versions, Dave Blandston, 07.08.2009
>
> The resulting image doesn't look right to me. What do you think?

On Windows 7 (64-bit), I get the same visual results as you (after changing
Dave's assumed_gamma 2.0 to 1.0). I ran two versions of POV-Ray: one of the
latest development builds (8927145) , and the latest 3.7.1-beta 2 version.
Unfortunately, I don't know what Dave's original scene is supposed to look like,
as a comparison (or what POV-Ray version he originally wrote it with) :-(  The
render does look kind of odd, though, with those "spiky" things jutting out.

As a side note: When I first ran Dave's scene, BOTH POV-Ray versions I used
actually CRASHED. The culprit was his use of
   charset utf8
in his global_settings block. Without that, the scene runs OK. I think this
particular problem has recently been mentioned in the newsgroups, re:
the 3.7.1 beta 2 release. But I was surprised that the same crash happened with
the earlier development build.