POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma - The Smoking Gun : Re: Gamma - The Smoking Gun Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:46:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma - The Smoking Gun
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 21 Dec 2016 23:10:00
Message: <web.585b51bcf869f0896ae7df010@news.povray.org>
> The second image shows essentially the same scene with `assumed_gamma
> 2.2`, with the diffuse settings (`diffuse` and `brilliance`) adjusted to
> get exactly the same diffuse effect out of the different colour math.

Please forgive my ignorance, but does that mean the default settings for diffuse
and brilliance are meant to give the most visually appealing results with an
assumed_gamma of 2.2?

I never really gave assumed_gamma much thought. I just noticed that setting it
to 1.0 produced a washed-out result so I picked 2.2 and never thought about it
again.

Regards,
Dave Blandston