POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : regarding wax experiment : regarding wax experiment Server Time
26 Apr 2024 17:56:51 EDT (-0400)
  regarding wax experiment
From: omniverse
Date: 14 Dec 2016 22:40:01
Message: <web.5852107c74049ba59c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Branching off of the message by Clipka in the animations group at:

http://news.povray.org/58516d06%241%40news.povray.org

As was suggested in the thread there, to only set mm_per_unit and leave that
alone, I was only able to get a similar appearance from subsurface scattering by
using a translucency of <10,10,10>. This is without knowing of a typical range
for it, and which I can only consider a rather large value. Mainly because of a
tendency to go transparent at such high numbers.

Wanted to demonstrate here how ior affects SSLT, somewhat masking my
insufficient result while attempting to duplicate the real world experiment
(shown at link within initial message above).

Thanks for any further input or observations about using SSLT. Everything I've
done with it is trial and error, and although I do try to set mm_per_unit to
each scene scale I often fail unless tweaking that to be a less or more.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'wax_sslt-ior.jpg' (45 KB)