POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RockTest.pov reference image : Re: RockTest.pov reference image Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:10:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RockTest.pov reference image
From: omniverse
Date: 14 Dec 2016 00:10:00
Message: <web.5850d3a067b6c8b69c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Am 13.12.2016 um 22:15 schrieb [GDS|Entropy]:
> >
> > > The Fog is being a little weird, because Media without a container is only
> > > visible when looking at the plane below it, and it vanishes above the horizon.
> > > ?! Weeeird. Very counterintuitive.
> >
> > Doesn't sound like something that should happen.
> >
> > Care to share any details?
>
> Sure. :)
>
> The plane in there seems to have no effect, commented or no, which seems to be
> improper based on what Alain was saying. Here is a minimal scene which
> reproduces the effect being discussed.

'Official' and 'alpha' versions render differently so something changed, I guess
you're not using official 3.7? I get the black void in 3.7.1.1-alpha, while
official 3.7.0 shows oversaturation of media as would be expected.

If you add the following spotlight to your (1st) light, it can apparently create
a finite region for the rays. That is mentioned in the docs:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Atmospheric_Media

  spotlight point_at <0,-1,1> radius 18 falloff 20

This could take some tweaking to get better, I just threw it in there, but there
didn't seem to be much range beyond that radius and falloff before it fails to
look okay again. Maybe with better point_at angle, just so it isn't directed
into infinity again.

Bob