POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RockTest.pov reference image : Re: RockTest.pov reference image Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:40:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RockTest.pov reference image
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 9 Dec 2016 06:50:01
Message: <web.584a997267b6c8b61c3f31c90@news.povray.org>
I'm going to use this thread to post previews of the "rock" types both the
IsoBlock and IsoRock macros can produce, there is some overlap between them so I
will likely merge them and make the block vs rock style merely be an input
parameter. Another function of this is the ability to produce IsoTerrain fairly
easily.

The goal of this macro is to make comprehensive types of quality Isosurface
terrain, rocks, blocks and such more easily accessible and usable, so folks can
get on with the bulk of their scene instead of having to implement this stuff
from scratch, and to make life easier for new folks.

I will include images of WIP with the other macros and the textures which come
with them.

Hopefully, if I do my job correctly, folks will find this stuff useful enough to
do something interesting with it.

This is part of a macro set I have been working on off and on since probably
2012, though the actual coding time is quite trivial. The set is geared toward
natural elements and effects, and I actually have a much of the "bulk" parts of
the coding done already, mostly tune-ups and feature additions are what is
happening now.

Here are the kinds of things it all makes:
- Volumetric clouds [it is very good at very angry skies along with the fluffier
types]
- Effective Volumetric fog, where the density is nice and there is local
variation which is easily visible, like real turbulent fog
- Updated Snow | Ice | Icicle
- Updated Corrosion
- Updated Moss [better moss object, more types modeled after the real thing]
- IsoRocks
- IsoBlocks
- IsoTerrain
- Cellular Automata based light seeking growing vine, adapted from some really
old code I can't recall who wrote...maybe I can find out but it is ancient. I
may extend this into the Moss macro.
- Water; this is primarily textures and IsoTerrain settings.

I might look into turing it into an insert menu addin, as I think it would be
nice to have these kinds of scene elements ready to roll...maybe drive more
folks to Pov if it can easily do Bryce/Vue sorts of things without the new user
having to get too down and dirty.

An idea for the future I have been toying with:
I may look at frankensteining some of the old tree macros out there into a sort
of Povray xFrog, taking the best characters of each into a new and hopefully
greater whole...shrubbery [Ni!], scrub brush, trees, etc.. would be the goal
initially, but it will not be started until after the primary pack is done.

I am thinking a combination of L-Systems and spline based generation, including
CA based growth [not promising animation].

*****If anyone is interested in working on any of this with me, please let me
know.******

Here is a rock of type [1,2] which would be useful for solidified lava flows, or
other non-rock things, sitting on a subdued IsoTerrain.

Ian

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'isoblocktest type [1,2].png' (766 KB)

Preview of image 'isoblocktest type [1,2].png'
isoblocktest type [1,2].png