POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to cap a cylinder by a 2d-function? : Re: How to cap a cylinder by a 2d-function? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to cap a cylinder by a 2d-function?
From: Kay
Date: 5 Dec 2016 16:50:01
Message: <web.5845dffe93354f5b67f2d6ab0@news.povray.org>
> "Kay" <uhu### [at] webde> wrote:
> > Hey Folks,
> >
> > I'm trying to code a cylinder, which is capped on one side by a 2d-function. The
> > 2d-function I have in mind is running like a helix with the parameters (x,y,z)
> > of the form {x=r*Cos[a], y=r*Sin[a], z=a} with r and a, both running from 0 to
> > 1.
> >
> > How can I do that? I tried Isosurface, but I failed...
> > Could anyone help out?
>
> See:
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/all_shapes/shapes910e.htm
>
> And Mike Williams' Isosurface tutorial, as well as the POV-Ray docs.
>
> I'd say you need to go from 0 to 2*pi to get a full wrap, and do the "cylinder"
> and the cap in 2 parts...

You're right, "a" should run from 0 to 2*pi, my bad.
Thanks for your hints! Actually, to my pitty, I already know these tutorials,
without success for me. I was hoping to rebuild this:
http://imgur.com/a/9cISt
with the help of an isosurface. But I do not know, how to get the golden
structure made out of this. I fear any boolean operations aren't accessable with
isosurface. Are they?

Thanks for help!