POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : On thing leads to another : Re: On thing leads to another Server Time
15 May 2024 10:08:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On thing leads to another
From: omniverse
Date: 4 Dec 2016 13:55:00
Message: <web.5844655f63e93b5f9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <spa### [at] nothanksnet> wrote:
> On 12/4/2016 8:53 AM, omniverse wrote:
> > Jim Holsenback <spa### [at] nothanksnet> wrote:
> >>
> >> hmmm ... with uber subsurface + area lights render was > 14 hrs. pov is
> >> /still/ ~ 38 % faster
> >
> > That's a curious thing because I found subsurface together with area lights and
> > radiosity to be faster in most recent UberPOV versus the 3.7.1.1-alpha
>
> maybe it was edge of that blackhole gravity well that passed through our
> sector last evening

Could be. :) Rendering with POV and its variations takes more scientific methods
than I'm usually capable of. The seldom mentioned findings like yours (and mine)
is very little to go on I'm sure. I'm always making guesses about what or why
something is so different regarding render times.

Funny thing about that. Just a while ago I mistakenly had 2 sets of scene
objects occupying the same space, and I couldn't understand why a slowdown and
strange artifacts was happening. Not typical coincident surfaces I'm used to
seeing, more like box shadows. Possibly the subsurface scattering causing the
change in appearance. Won't really ever know I guess, unless I encounter that
enough times to learn why.