POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I've seen the light! : Re: I've seen the light! Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:35:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've seen the light!
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 1 Dec 2016 14:30:01
Message: <web.584079e760a82d8ee8ae267f0@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> This is how POV-Ray should look on the Commodore 64! Block graphic font
> in 40 by 25 characters! No image bigger than 1000 bytes!
>
> Retrocomputing rules! There should be a POV-Ray version for each of the
> 1980s' 8-bit classic machines!

Apple II: 280 x 192 (effective color resolution 140 x 192), 6 colors

TRaSh 80: 80 x 24 (IIRC), black and white

IBM PC-XT with CGA: 320 x 200, 4 colors unevenly distributed on the color wheel

P.S.  Examining the IBM CGA color selections, it was clear that it was designed
for engineering shortcuts rather than for the end user.  This would not be the
first time IBM chose an engineering shortcut over utility: their RANDU
pseudorandom number generator was a clever hack that saved many CPU cycles, and
churned out a stream that was horrifyingly non-random, even by LCG standards.
(Imagine running a simulation on that system, getting it published in a
peer-reviewed scientific journal, and then discovering that your entire study is
utterly worthless because some engineer over at IBM cleverly solved the wrong
problem.)