POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help - very difficult when it should be easy : Re: Help - very difficult when it should be easy Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help - very difficult when it should be easy
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 23 Nov 2016 12:20:01
Message: <web.5835ce8eba97f5c1468fc97e0@news.povray.org>
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
>
> > > ("point", "axis", "vector" ...   sure.   They're all the same thing.)
> >
> > No, points and vectors are not the same thing:
>

> > Does this code do what you want ?
> > (Replace your for loop and everything within it with this code.)
>

> I missed this in the flurry of weekend posts - Thanks for taking the time to
> look this over and offer some fully-coded solutions!
> It's VERY much appreciated.
>
> I'll paste it into my scene and give it a go.  I always like to explore multiple
> methods of accomplishing the same task - they are often different in small ways
> that make one particular way well suited to solving a problem in the future.

I hope my code worked for you.

> Thanks as always for your help and expertise!

You are welcome. I'm glad to help.

> PS.  Any ideas why the degrees(atan2()) results need to be sign-inverted?
> IS it the left hand coordinate system that POV-Ray uses?

I have not look at the Trevors code, so I don't know.

Generally, the rotation direction around an axis in a left handed coordinate
system is opposite of the rotation direction around an axis in a right handed
coordinate system.

But I think that you should not have to use any atan-functions to solve your
problem.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com