POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : arealight speed UberPOV compared P-R 3.7.1.1 alpha : Re: arealight speed UberPOV compared P-R 3.7.1.1 alpha Server Time
23 Apr 2024 06:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: arealight speed UberPOV compared P-R 3.7.1.1 alpha
From: omniverse
Date: 20 Nov 2016 22:30:01
Message: <web.5832691ba6150ab59c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Playing with parameters, I found out what's really making the difference for
UberPOV.

blur_samples min, max

Using only one number instead of two, 20 from maximum in this case, seems to
help smooth out shadow and subsurface dithering.

For render times are much shorter using UberPOV, except to get similar image
quality I still had to use adaptive 2 for the area lights.

And in doing that I discovered the render times to be equivalent if POV-Ray
3.7.0 official is set to adaptive 0. So this means same or very similar quality
for same render times.
Main thing being that UberPOV might be able to prove faster, albeit at some
expense of quality.

I haven't tried a variety of different settings for blur_samples and subsurface
samples so there's still some question as to which might be best for both
quality and speed.

I hope you can find something out about how area_light and camera blur might be
conflicting.

Bob