POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : Re: PovRay Google Trends Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:00:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Google Trends
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Nov 2016 14:30:01
Message: <web.582cb3af5604f2383b2b3f0@news.povray.org>
"Sherry K. Shaw" <ten### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
> > Ah! There it is! This has been indeed one of the major complaints:
> > people (outside of POV-Ray) do not want to create using text editors
> > (any more).
>
> I Do Not Fingerpaint.
>
> I Do Not Use Software That Expects Me To Fingerpaint.
>
> I Am A Grownup.  I Can Read And Write.  I Can Do Math.
>
> Reading And Writing And Math Are Accurate.  Fingerpainting Is Guesswork.
>   I Like Accuracy.  I Do Not Like Guesswork.
>
> I Like Reading And Writing.  I Like Doing Math.  I Want To Read And
> Write And Do Math.  I Do Not Want To Fingerpaint.
>
> And that's why I do POV-Ray.*  :)

artists do love to fingerpaint, programmers don't (aside from wildguesses)

that's the main deal about Blender adoption vs povray decline

that said, Blender is scripted in python, it can be as accurate as you want.
Wanna scale an object to be 2x as width onscreen?  Type s2x or s3.14y or
whatever.  There are also metric tools.

like it or not, povray is an ancient codebase geared at tech-heads with some
artistic urges and little else.  As it is, we're lucky that there's an
integrated povray exporter in Blender.  though with cycles now being the default
renderer and a path-tracing at that, I wonder about its true utility...

the best thing about povray is the HOF.

just look how far in the past it became:  we are still using usenet to talk
about it.  how about some whatsapp? :p