POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Creating meshes with trace : Re: Creating meshes with trace Server Time
6 May 2024 04:52:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating meshes with trace
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Nov 2016 09:40:01
Message: <web.582c6eeaaea878955b7d07940@news.povray.org>
> [GDS|Entropy] <gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom> wrote:
> > I wonder if using a two step trace shell construction would work; step one
> > trace your upscaled target object from all sides to get a list of vectors,
> > step two use those vectors as trace origins to get a fitted shell.
>
> That's a brilliant idea - I was wondering how to get into convex areas and other
> shielded places where there might be something obstructing the trace.

I wrote some mesh generation and deformation macros some years ago that took
exactly this approach - search for 'meshrelief' in the object library on this
site, or get it here (ancient site, sorry, but it still works):
http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/macro_meshrelief.html

I found that although secondary target object did help spread out the mesh
samples to get a more even triangulation, it didn't really make much difference
for awkward objects. You might find the source interesting to adapt to your own
purposes...

Bill