POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Creating meshes with trace : Re: Creating meshes with trace Server Time
6 May 2024 00:48:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating meshes with trace
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Nov 2016 07:55:01
Message: <web.582c569aaea87895b488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
[GDS|Entropy] <gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom> wrote:
> This is a very cool idea, I had long ago wondered about mesh-casting but
> had insufficient experience and time to try to cook an algorithm up.

I've wondered about it from time to time, and I just had one of those moments
where a way to start just came to me.

> Have you tried it with many connected blobs of varying size? What kind of
> shapes cause issues? Is your primary issue in the trace shell?

Blobs as the object being scanned?   Nope, I'll try that.

> I wonder if using a two step trace shell construction would work; step one
> trace your upscaled target object from all sides to get a list of vectors,
> step two use those vectors as trace origins to get a fitted shell.

That's a brilliant idea - I was wondering how to get into convex areas and other
shielded places where there might be something obstructing the trace.
I'm not at all sure how to piece together those separate trace levels smoothly.
I still have some troubles with getting the arrays right, and avoiding
degenerate cylinders/triangles.

Perhaps a 6-step scan from the faces of a cube would yield good results.

I've also wondered about "slicing" an object, and somehow scanning the
perimeter(s) of the slices, so that even hollow objects could be fully
converted.

Thanks for your interest - I'm still constantly learning new things and skills.