POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : torus arrows : Re: torus arrows Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:36:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: torus arrows
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Nov 2016 07:50:00
Message: <web.5825bdf5329b68a8b488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>... you might get a better idea of your scene if you do
> a render from the top, front and side. To adjust the translations and
> see what is happening.
>
> Another thing that might be confusing is PovRay's coordinate system.
> Normally the Y axis is up. Some other programs use the Z axis for up.

Yes.
Take all of your objects and put them inside one big union{}

#declare Scene = union {
(all of your scene objects)
}

Then you can:
object {Scene translate x*10 rotate  y*90}
object {Scene translate y*10 rotate -x*90}

to get 3 orthogonal views.

Stephen's suggestion about mapping out the axes so that you can keep track is a
great one - it helps keep everything straight when you're trying to write SDL
and get all the parameters right.

Also, when using a difference, I find it helpful to define the object being
subtracted as a separate object, then use it in the difference{}, but also PLACE
IT into the scene with something like pigment {rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.95>} so that it
shows up as a transparent thing that you can see.   Because sometimes you make a
mistake and the thing you want to subtract isn't in the right place or
orientations at all, and this helps debug the scene.

Great work so far - keep it up   :)