POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 25 years of POVRay : Re: 25 years of POVRay Server Time
3 May 2024 04:44:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 25 years of POVRay
From: omniverse
Date: 4 Nov 2016 00:25:01
Message: <web.581c0d303f4547429c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> I was just thinking that it's been 25 years since POVRay was created
> based on DKBTrace.  When DKBTrace was first released, I was 24 years
> old.  I was 29 when we released POVRay 1.0.  I'm now 54 years old and
> POVRay is still going.

Incredible! No. Not what you're thinking probably, incredible that you're 4
years younger than me! ha!

I was so grateful when on CompuServe I stumbled across your ray tracer way back
in 1991 or '93 (I forget now). The search was on for something more than
ordinary image creation and that was the first I learned of ray tracing. I never
wrote a program, having only Fortran and Basic (and its variants) know-how so I
decided to leave that to others like you.

I found the old Ray Tracing News is still online (with broken links of course)
and gives some insight to the timeline and what was out there. Before and after
this has more of DKBTrace if you navigate around using the contents link there,
then RTN "guide" link.

http://jedi.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/raytracer/rtn/rtnv4n3.html

Tells of "PV-Ray", misspelled or not, from 1991. Look for it before the bottom
of the web page.

Thanks many times over for your work getting POV-Ray started.

Bob