POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rounded/chamfered text : Re: Rounded/chamfered text Server Time
19 May 2024 06:04:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rounded/chamfered text
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 20 Oct 2016 06:00:00
Message: <web.5808945b136a649a6ae7df010@news.povray.org>
"JimT" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'll have to look at how you kern. I gave up on automatic kerning. I thought I
> would need to populate an nxn matrix where n is the number of characters. I'll
> also have to think about justifying paragraphs.

The automatic kerning method that Bald Eagle suggested in this very thread does
indeed work very well. Thank you Bald Eagle! I will post a demo in the scene
files area.

JimT, this is what I recommend for your purposes if you choose to use the macros
I will post: Do not create an nxn matrix of kerning values. Your character set
is too large. Use the ComputeKerningValue () macro as needed throughout your
scene. You will have to change some variable names to match your scene.

The AutomaticKerningDemo.pov file is set up to work just as described above.

You may need to do some preparatory steps on your own... The macros require an
array that contains the widths of all your characters. You may be able to use
max_extent () to compute the widths. If not, you can adapt the MeasureCharacter
() macro for this purpose.

When you run the AutomaticKerningDemo.pov file, take a look at the "Messages"
tab for the output.

Regards,
Dave Blandston