POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More gamma : Re: More gamma Server Time
28 Apr 2024 04:28:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More gamma
From: omniverse
Date: 19 Oct 2016 01:15:00
Message: <web.58070108a6285b98b1933f770@news.povray.org>
Seeing this I began trying to find out if the File_Gamma=srgb I just began using
recently was making a difference from File_Gamma=2.2 I had been using prior to
that.

Well, that wasn't the thing that caused me a tremendous surprise because I was
only seeing a real change if using assumed_gamma=1 for global_settings instead
of srgb I also started using for that. A brightened image, as expected, which is
why I had trouble with the idea of the necessity of adding it to all my scene
files the many years ago now.

However in the process of changing these I also added the INI option
Antialias_Gamma for the first time. I didn't know about it, or ignored it, until
reading here and C. Lipka I think mentioned it.

By using Antialias_Gamma=1 in my povray.ini the rendering I was testing all this
with went from over a minute (plus 3 to 10 seconds) to only 20 seconds!!!

I put 2 of those images together or overlayed, one with and one without that
option, applied as differences between them and it didn't show anything. No
differences visible.

So I must ask, is that to be expected?

In the meantime I'm going to be trying longer renders in the hopes it might
reduce all their times to 1/3!