POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help needed with the focal blur module : Re: Help needed with the focal blur module Server Time
2 May 2024 19:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help needed with the focal blur module
From: udyank
Date: 10 Oct 2016 03:55:01
Message: <web.57fb4890315ae166f2ed086a0@news.povray.org>
> You probably just need to improve the quality. Try using keywords  variance
> with a value of 0.005 or less and  confidence  of 0.9 or more. And more
> blur_samples, something like 100 or more.
> I don't know much of anything about the workings of camera blur but my guess
> would be the scene distances might play a big part in how the focus, or
> aperture, is affected. Or vice versa. In other words, perhaps large focal_point
> distances from camera location require larger aperture values to compensate.

The blur samples I used were 500, and the images I sent were with aperture
values equal to 1, 2 and 3 respectively. As I do not know the correspondence of
POVRay's relative aperture scale with real aperture values of cameras, I'm not
able to find what value to use. Can you help with this?

> However, from what I tried just now with it, I can't be sure there's a possible
> correlation with enough to formulate what you're wanting to do. And yet there
> might be something to do with scene size possible if you can constrain all
> objects within a certain area of view. Distance from camera and its focal point
> seem to make aperture require larger or smaller values, so if far away
> focal_point then aperture increased could help.
> Closer together and aperture must be smaller. I would only be guessing here, of
> course, but that's what I was finding in my test scene.

I'm attaching my .pov file for reference. I have tried setting this up somewhere
else also, but I am not able to replicate the results in POVRay (mainly because
of the 'focal length' issue). Can you see if there is any mistake that I made
while setting it up?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cmyscene.pov.txt' (2 KB)