POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Orientation and left handed frame : Re: Orientation and left handed frame Server Time
26 Apr 2024 11:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orientation and left handed frame
From: lelama
Date: 7 Oct 2016 11:10:00
Message: <web.57f7b8c8844df07321263ef70@news.povray.org>
After this discussion, I come with a question:

I was thinking about replacing the folloing sentence in the documentation :

    "In a right-handed system we use our right hand for the "Aerobics"."

By the following:

    When a right-handed system is used in Pov-Ray,  we use our right hand
    for the "Aerobics", both for the coordinate system
   and for the rotations.

    A rotation of 90 degrees around the vector +X sends the vector +Y
   to the vector +Z, in any system, left handed or right handed.
   There is no option to change this behaviour.

If this is confusing for some people, let's keep the old formulation. But if
it's not confusing, it would be more clear for people who wander whether it is
possible to play independtly with the coordinate system and the rotations, and
to people who want to know what may be changed with options.