POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rounded_objects: a new feature? : Re: rounded_objects: a new feature? Server Time
17 May 2024 19:10:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounded_objects: a new feature?
From: John Greenwood
Date: 27 Sep 2016 14:25:00
Message: <web.57eab82f696ad36a8469130@news.povray.org>
"John Greenwood" <joh### [at] john-greenwoodcouk> wrote:

> > > The radius of the round at the junction between the two objects is a function of
> > > the radii of the two contributing faces and will be sharper. I think what you
> > > are seeing is just a very sharp corner.
> >
> > Starting from the sphere, there seems to be a very sharp corner,
> > followed by some kind of plateau, followed by a large radius that forms
> > the top face of the cube.
> >
> > You can exaggerate it by changing to a bevel (-0.5) and increasing the
> > round size to 0.5 (attached is a section view) - maybe this helps to
> > debug it?
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. I am currently trying to work out what actually
> happens at the line of union, and indeed what is wanted. This is probably an
> example of something we don't want.

Thinking about it, this is a result of way it works. The corner prifile is
created by the addition of the component fields and if one of these has a sharp
change, this will come through.

I am working on a way to have a union of two R_objects with a rounding of its
own that swamps that of the components. It is a bit more complicated than what I
have done so far.

I also think we could have hypobolic corners, ie, would be assymptopic to two
intersecting plane surfaces.