POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rounded_objects: a new feature? : Re: rounded_objects: a new feature? Server Time
17 May 2024 16:37:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounded_objects: a new feature?
From: John Greenwood
Date: 20 Sep 2016 08:15:01
Message: <web.57e12820696ad3a7cafab50@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> On 20/09/2016 10:04, John Greenwood wrote:
> > scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> >> How would you go about doing the union (or difference) of two rounded
> >> cubes? I tried to modify the code to do this but couldn't get it to
> >> work. If that works nicely then I think you're on to something...

> > And here are unions:
>
> Looks good.
>
> Just one small thing though, it looks like something odd is going on
> with the top (+y) face of the cube and also the join with that face and
> the sphere (maybe related). There is a "ridge" of some kind along the
> join, and the entire top face of the cube bends upwards way before the
> round should start (see attached).

The radius of the round at the junction between the two objects is a function of
the radii of the two contributing faces and will be sharper. I think what you
are seeing is just a very sharp corner. The rising of the top face of the cube
is due to the field from the sphere.

There are going to be limitations!

I am looking at a way to specify a larger radius at the intersection of the two
objects.