POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Regarding the defocus module : Re: Regarding the defocus module Server Time
10 May 2024 14:47:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regarding the defocus module
From: udyank
Date: 13 Sep 2016 09:00:02
Message: <web.57d7f7f829233825f2ed086a0@news.povray.org>
Hey!
@clipka: Thanks for your earlier clarifications. They really helped!

I need a little more help. I am trying out a sample scene with 3 horizontal bars
in the front and 3 vertical ones at the back. I have an image of this scene I
want to compare POVRay's result to, but I'm having problems setting up a few
parameters.
- First of all, in the picture you attached before (aperture.png) with the
standard lens diagram, We had an image plane along with the lens an object. My
understanding was that the camera parameters in POVRay are for the 'lens' part.
I set the focal length using the 'direction' variable (I hope that's correct).
So how do I specify where the image plane is to be?
- Also regarding the aperture, the official doc says "while this behaves as a
real camera does, the values for aperture are purely arbitrary and are not
related to f-stops." If I want to specify the aperture value as 'f/X' as in a
camera (ie. with respect to focal length), how can I specify that?
- Regarding the confidence value: the doc says "The confidence value is used to
determine when the samples seem to be close enough to the correct color." How
does POVRay 'know' the correct color? Suppose I have a point (like P in the
image) I'm shooting a number of rays from, which are slightly deviated from each
other going to the lens, and converging at 1 pt P' on the other side. Suppose
some hit an object before P' and some hit it after, but hit different objects.
So how do you know the correct color in such a case, and subsequently, when to
stop tracing more samples as the color is 'close enough'?
- Finally, I have a different setup where I've configured my rays to just pick
up the color value of the object the ray hits and add it up on the target pixel
the ray comes from. Is there a way to bypass the color calculations (the
diffuse/ambient/specular etc. values) and just make POVRay add up the color
value to the pixel where it's color is to be added?

I'm attaching the files I'm using in the setup, along with the 'aperture.png'
used for reference. The testing1.png is when i'm using the 'focal_point'
parameter, and testing2.png is when that is removed. Why is such an effect
happening? Because from my understanding, f-value=1 unit (As set by
'direction').
Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: