POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stochastics expertise needed : Re: Stochastics expertise needed Server Time
16 May 2024 21:47:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastics expertise needed
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Sep 2016 07:40:00
Message: <web.57c963eb8629941b5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> I can't. That's the crux of the matter: The algorithm needs to cope with
> varying BRDFs. It might be Lambertian with a Phong highlight, or
> Oren-Nayar with a Blinn-Phong highlight, or (in the future) maybe
> Cook-Torrance, He-Torrance, Ward, Schlick, Lafortune, or whatever smart
> brains may still come up with and someone decides to implement in POV-Ray.

Well, for now, you can - if there were a set of equations for the BRDF's that
could be easily plotted over the range 0-1 or 0-pi, then the shape might inspire
an equation to mimic them.   Presumably you already have a few such equations
working with POV-Ray, and some of the special development versions.

I've thought about this a bit and will have some more to say and ask, but for
now:

Is there a way to take the models available and fit a curve to them?
Polynomials, or Taylor series, or something like that?

And now I'm off to work.